Public Release of Medicare Statistics:
Financial Year 2018-19
More GP attendances and more benefits paid
In 2018-19, patients accessed 158.3 million GP services, at a cost in Medicare benefits of $8.1 billion. This compares to 154.7 million services in 2017-18 at a cost of $7.8 billion in Medicare benefits. This is an increase of 2.0%1 in service volumes and an increase in benefits of 2.8%1 compared to 2017-18.
More Medicare Services overall
The volume of total Medicare services in 2018-19 was 424.2 million services, at a cost of $24.1 billion in Medicare benefits. This compares to 414.3 million services in 2017-18, at a cost of $23.2 billion in Medicare benefits. This is an increase of 2.1%1 in service volume and an increase in benefit of 3.5%1 compared to 2017-18.
Patients are receiving more Medicare services that are fully subsidised
In 2018-19, patients received 335.8 million bulk billed Medicare services compared to 327.0 million in 2017-18. This represents an additional 8.8 million fully subsidised Medicare services compared to 2017-18.
Rates of bulk billing for GP attendances, Pathology, Diagnostic Imaging continue to increase
|2017-18||2018-19||Change in % Points*|
|Total GP (excl practice nurse)|
*The change in bulk billing rate in percentage points is calculated before rounding the bulk billing rate to 1 decimal point. For this reason, percentage point differences reported may differ from calculations derived using reported bulk billing rates.
Explanatory Notes on the data:
- Medicare services refer to services funded through the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
- Bulk billing is reported on a year-to-date (YTD) basis over the course of the financial year. The bulk billing rate is calculated, then rounded to one decimal point for reporting purposes.
- The latest bulk billing figures are for the July 2018 to Jun 2019 period (financial year 2018-19).
- Bulk billing data is also reported for individual quarters in the report 'Quarterly Medicare Statistics – September Quarter 1984 to June Quarter 2019'.
- Bulk billing data is reported for:
- All MBS services, by state/territory and remoteness area for 16 Broad Type of Service (BTOS) categories. Each BTOS category typically comprises a set of related MBS group of items.
- For example, bulk billing data is available for GP and specialist attendances, pathology, diagnostic imaging, practice nurses and allied health services.