Public Release of Medicare Statistics:
2019-20 Financial Year-to-Date (YTD) July to September
More Medicare Services overall
The volume of total Medicare services in the 2019-20 financial YTD July to September was 111.6 million services, at a cost of $6.4 billion in Medicare benefits. This compares to 104.8 million services during the same period in 2018-19, at a cost of $6.0 billion in Medicare benefits. This is an increase of 4.1%1 1 in service volumes and an increase in benefits of 4.4%11 compared to the same period in 2018-19.
Patients are receiving more Medicare services that are fully subsidised
In the 2019-20 financial YTD July to September, patients received 88.0 million bulk billed Medicare services compared to 82.3 million during the same period in 2018-19. This represents an additional 5.7 million fully subsidised Medicare services compared to the same period in 2018-19.
- Reporting figures on a YTD basis allows for comparisons between the same periods across quarters, year-to-date and financial years. This corrects for seasonal variations (winter versus summer) and the timing of public holidays.
Understanding Bulk Billing Rates
- Bulk billing is reported on a year-to-date (YTD) basis over the course of the financial year. The bulk billing rate is calculated, then rounded to one decimal point for reporting purposes.
- The latest bulk billing figures are for the July 2019 to September 2019 period.
- Bulk billing data is also reported for individual quarters.
- Bulk billing data is reported by State/Territory and Modified Monash Model (MMM) by Broad Type of Service (BTOS) categories. Each BTOS category typically comprises a set of related groups of MBS items (for example, GP Non-referred Attendances, Specialist Attendances, Operations, etc.).
Changes to Medicare Statistics
Medicare statistics are now based on the patient’s geocoded Medicare enrolment address rather than the patient’s enrolment postcode. The availability of geocoded patient information substantially increases the accuracy of Medicare statistics. There may be minor changes to the figures published over the course of the current financial year as geospatial information is updated. National figures will remain unchanged.
Modified Monash categories replace Remoteness Area in recognition that more Health programs are transitioning to MMM from 1 January 2020.
Medicare statistics were revised from September quarter 2009 onwards for the Quarterly Report. Historical Medicare statistics prior to September 2009 remain unchanged as geospatial information and Modified Monash statistics are not available for the entire time series.
For more information view the Changes in MBS Statistics report on the Departments website.
- Quarterly Medicare Statistics – September Quarter 2009 to September Quarter 2019 (Excel 2390 KB)
- Quarterly Medicare Statistics – September Quarter 1984 to June Quarter 2009 (Excel 3282 KB)
The Department of Health has made every effort to ensure that the Microsoft Excel version of the above documents meets accessibility requirements. If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the information contained within this document, please email MBS.Statistics@health.gov.au to arrange for an alternative format to be provided to you.