Case Study - People living in regional and remote areas

This page contains information on Speech, Language and Communication Disorders and Speech Pathology Services - Case Study - People living in regional and remote areas

Page last updated: 13 December 2017

I live in regional Australia with my family. Our children attend the local primary school. At a recent parent teacher interview, my six year old son’s teacher identified that my son’s speech is making it difficult for him to talk to other children and make friends. I am aware that, as we live in regional Australia, professional advice may not be easily available and I am not sure where to find the help he needs. Where can I go to get the support he needs to help him improve his speech?

Where can I find a speech pathologist in my local area?

Speech Pathology Australia is a national organisation that represents and supports Speech Pathologists. You can find information about speech pathology and speech pathology services from their website.

The Department of Health also supports the Rural Health Outreach Fund.

This fund improves access to medical specialists, GPs, allied and other health professionals for people living in regional, rural and remote Australia. Speech Pathology is one of the allied health therapies that may be supported. The Rural Health Outreach Fund is administered by jurisdictional fundholders in each state and the Northern Territory.

To find out if there are speech pathology services funded through Rural Health Outreach Fund in your area, please contact one of the below fundholder organisations for more information:

NSW: NSW Rural Doctors Network
Phone: 02 8337 8100

NT: NT Department of Health
Phone: 08 8999 2518

Queensland: CheckUp Australia
Phone: 07 3105 8300

SA: Rural Doctors Workforce Agency-SA
Phone: 08 8234 8277

Tasmania: Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services
Phone: 03 6777 2994

Victoria: Rural Workforce Agency Victoria
Phone: 03 9349 7800

WA: Rural Health West
Phone: 08 6389 4500

In this section