Case Study - The Elderly

This page contains information on Speech, Language and Communication Disorders and Speech Pathology Services - Case Study - The Elderly

Page last updated: 13 December 2017

My elderly mother is recovering from a stroke. She has been receiving professional assistance to help her to swallow more easily and do simple tasks herself, and these services have been very helpful. However, she is still struggling with her speech and ability to communicate clearly with her friends and family.

I would like to help her regain her ability to communicate. As her carer, I am unsure about how to go about this, and I don’t know what financial support is available to assist me in looking after my mother.

How can I find a speech pathologist in my local area?

Speech Pathology Australia is a national organisation that represents and supports Speech Pathologists. You can find information about speech pathology and speech pathology services from their website.

Chronic Disease Management allied health services

The Chronic Disease Management (CDM) Medicare items in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) enable general practitioners (GPs) to plan and coordinate the health care of patients with chronic or terminal medical conditions. GPs are able to use Medicare items for GP-managed care planning and/or team-assisted care planning, depending on the health needs of their patients. It is important to note that referral for allied health services under a CDM plan for eligible patients is based on the GP’s clinical assessment of their needs.

Once appropriate CDM items are in place, patients are able to be referred by their GP for up to five Medicare rebateable allied health services each calendar year.

Eligible allied health services are: Speech pathology; Aboriginal health work; audiology; diabetes education; chiropractic; dietetics; exercise physiology; mental health work; occupational therapy; osteopathy; physiotherapy; podiatry; and psychology.

The Department of Human Services provides assistance for Carers

Carer Payment provides financial support to people who are unable to work in substantial paid employment because they provide full time daily care to someone with severe disability or medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged.

Carer Allowance is a fortnightly income supplement for parents or carers providing additional daily care and attention to an adult or dependent child with disability or a medical condition, or to someone who is frail aged. Carer Allowance is not income and assets tested, is not taxable and can be paid in addition to wages, Carer Payment or any other income support payment.

Further information on payments for carers can be found at:
Payments for carers

In this section