Development of the Strategy will be overseen by an independent National Mental Health Workforce Strategy Taskforce (the Taskforce). The Taskforce will advise the Commonwealth Department of Health and the National Mental Health Commission, who are jointly developing the Strategy.
Jennifer Taylor PSM and Thomas Brideson are the Co-Chairs of the Taskforce. The Taskforce includes member representatives from across the mental health sector, including:
- Professional, peak and peer groups
- Consumers and carers
- Commonwealth, States and Territories
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reference groups
Working groups have been established to examine in greater detail and report back to the Taskforce on the following priority areas:
- Rural and Remote
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Workforce Training and Education
- Peer and Lived Experience
- Inter-jurisdictional and Inter-governmental workforce policies and strategies
The Taskforce will provide initial recommendations to the Government by December 2020. A final report will be provided to Government by June 2021 prior to endorsement by the Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council.
Taskforce Terms of Reference
The Taskforce Terms of Reference were agreed to by the Minister for Health in February 2020 and outlines the expectations and key objectives of the Taskforce.
The Department of Health provides the Secretariat for the Taskforce and will update this page as necessary. Please contact MHWorkforceStrategy@health.gov.au for more information.