An Expert Health Panel (the Panel) for PFAS was established to advise the Australian Government on the potential health impacts associated with PFAS exposure and to identify priority areas for further research.
Expert Health Panel for PFAS Report
In line with the requirements outlined in its Terms of Reference, the Panel has provided its advice to the Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP.
A plain English summary and the Panel’s Report are available below:
- Summary of the Expert Health Panel for PFAS – Report (PDF 45 KB)
- Summary of the Expert Health Panel for PFAS – Report (Word 29 KB)
- Expert Health Panel for PFAS - Combined Report (PDF 5247 KB)
- Expert Health Panel for PFAS - Report (Word 1059 KB)
- Expert Health Panel for PFAS - Report - Appendix 1 (Word 1501 KB)
On 7 May 2018, the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Brendan Murphy, announced the publication of the Panel’s Report.
A media release from the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Brendan Murphy, is available below.
Expert Health Panel for PFAS - Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the Panel are:
- The Expert Health Panel will advise the Australian Government on the potential health impacts associated with PFAS exposure and identify priority areas for further research. To achieve its objective, the Expert Health Panel will:
- take into account the evidence available from both Australian and international scientific research into the potential human health effects of PFAS exposure; and
- consider the views of the public and other stakeholders through an invitation for public written submissions.
- It is expected that the Expert Health Panel will provide its advice to the Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, in March 2018. The Expert Health Panel’s advice will be released publicly.
- The Expert Health Panel will also provide its advice on priority research areas to the National Health and Medical Research Council to inform their targeted call for research for the Per- and poly-fluoroalkyl substances – National Health Research Program.
- Professor Nick Buckley (Chair)
- Professor Malcolm Sim
- Dr Ki Douglas
- Professor Helen Håkansson (International Representative)
All of the panellists have demonstrated expertise in the fields of environmental health, toxicology, epidemiology and/or public health.
For more information on PFAS or the Panel you can call 1800 941 180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org