- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report
- Previous Reports and Updates
- Annual Reports
- Accessibility Issues
The Australian Influenza Surveillance Report is published on a fortnightly basis during the influenza season, typically between May and October. Influenza activity updates will be published outside of the seasonal period.
- Activity – Currently, influenza and influenza-like illness (ILI) activity is lower than average for this time of year compared to previous years, and is consistent with past activity following a peak in notifications. At the national level, notifications of laboratory-confirmed influenza have decreased in the past fortnight; however, this may be due in some measure to data entry backlogs.
- Impact – Impact for the season to date, as measured through the number of sentinel hospital beds occupied by patients with influenza and the rate of Flutracking respondents absent from normal duties, is low to moderate.
- Severity – Clinical severity for the season to date, as measured through the proportion of patients admitted directly to ICU, and deaths attributed to influenza, is low.
- Virology – The majority of confirmed influenza cases reported nationally were influenza A in the year to date (77%) and past fortnight (61%). The proportion of cases attributed to influenza B has increased in the past fortnight (39%), following a steady increase August.
- Vaccine match and effectiveness – Antigenic analysis of circulating influenza viruses in Australia in 2019 shows that the influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and influenza B/Yamagata-lineage viruses are well matched to the 2019 influenza vaccine while some A(H3N2) and B/Victoria-lineage viruses are less well matched. Overall vaccine effectiveness appears good and as expected based on preliminary estimates from general practice (ASPREN) and sentinel hospitals (FluCAN-PAEDS), noting that effectiveness typically ranges from around 40-60% each year.
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 11 - 09 September to 22 September 2019 (PDF 584 KB)
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 11 - 09 September to 22 September 2019 (Word 703 KB)
- Previous Reports - 2019
- Previous Reports - 2018
- Previous Reports - 2017
- Previous Reports - 2016
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2015
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2014
- Previous Reports - 2013
- Previous Reports - 2012
- Previous Reports - 2011
- Previous Reports - 2010
- Previous Reports - 2009
Should you encounter issues in accessing the information contained either on this webpage or within the downloadable full reports please email flu (email@example.com) or contact the Department of Health switchboard on 02 6289 1555 or 1800 020 103.top of page