Research Commissioned by the ReviewTo support the Review Panel’s development of its reform recommendations, the Panel commissioned a range of consultancies to provide external expert advice. The Panel considered information provided through these consultancies, alongside information provided in written submissions to the Review.
The results of all finalised research commissioned by the Review have been made public, to ensure transparency of the Review’s process.
Any opinions expressed in the reports below are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Review Panel, the Department of Health or the Government.
Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation - Quantitative and Qualitative Research FindingsThis work was undertaken by Hall & Partners | Open Mind in conjunction with the Review’s online survey, which was opened following the Discussion Paper in 2016. These two reports present the detailed quantitative findings of the online survey and a qualitative analysis based on group discussions, in-depth interviews and online forums conducted with consumers of pharmacy services.
- Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation – Research findings (PDF 5336 KB)
- Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation – Research findings (Word 3772 KB)
- Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation – Qualitative research findings (PDF 416 KB)
- Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation – Qualitative research findings (Word 247 KB)
Pharmacy Financial Survey - Research ReportThis report summarises findings of the Review's Pharmacy Financial Survey, which was undertaken by Hall & Partners | Open Mind from December 2016 to January 2017. Based on the limited response to the survey, these findings are presented as a series of illustrative examples of community pharmacy in different locations across Australia.
- Pharmacy Financial Survey - Research Report (PDF 1139 KB)
- Pharmacy Financial Survey - Research Report (Word 574 KB)
Financial Analysis of Pharmacy Remuneration and RegulationThis report summarises financial analysis and modelling work undertaken by RSM Australia. Based on a range of available data, this report examines the level and structure of remuneration for community pharmacy for dispensing medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the location of pharmacies, prescribers and patients in Australia, as well as analysis of financial costs flowing through the pharmacy supply chain.
Note that certain confidential information has been redacted from this document.
In allowing the Review access to its Guild Digest, the Pharmacy Guild of Australia has not disclosed any additional disaggregated data collected in confidence from Digest respondents.
Report on Consumer Consultation on Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and RegulationThis work was conducted by Consumers Health Forum of Australia as a targeted consultation of relevant consumer organisations, to identify consumer attitudes, expectations and priorities in relation to the provision of community pharmacy in Australia.
- Report on Consumer Consultation on Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation (PDF 278 KB)
- Report on Consumer Consultation on Review of Pharmacy Remuneration and Regulation (Word 156 KB)