As the demand for reliable and accurate information has increased over the years, the Medical Training Review Panel (MTRP) annual report has become a national resource for statistics on medical education and training. The MTRP 19th report provides empirical evidence and information that will assist to inform future policy and innovation decisions.
The report provides a detailed analysis of the changes taking place in undergraduate, postgraduate and vocational training in Australia. In order to provide a comprehensive overview of medical practitioner supply, this includes details of overseas trained medical practitioners, their education levels and their migration patterns to Australia.
Data in the report were supplied by Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand Inc, state and territory health departments, specialist medical colleges, the Australian Medical Council and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. Selected administrative data from the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection and this Department have also been included.
The tables in the main body of the report present the latest available data. Trends are analysed in relation to data for the last five years. Existing tables have been refined and updated. The majority of the data presented in the report is for 2015, with most data reported at 30 June 2015. The exceptions to these are data on university attrition rates, medical graduates, college examinations and college fellows, which are for the previous calendar year, 2014. Administrative data from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and this Department are for 2014-15.
New data tables have been introduced to reflect the most recent information available. Significant changes included in this edition of the MTRP report are listed below:
- a new extended data trend table on preferred type of medical practice in final year of medical degree, Chapter 2;
- inclusion of all Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students in Table 2.11, as reported to the medical school at time of enrolment. This table is now using data from the Student Statistics collection rather than the Medical Schools Outcome Database survey, Chapter 2, 2008 to 2015;
- inclusion of data on commencing medical students by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status, Chapter 2, 2008 to 2015;
- inclusion of improved information in Table 2.14. This table is now using data from the Student Statistics collection rather than the Medical Schools Outcome Database survey, Chapter 2;
- inclusion of tables with new Modified Monash Model for rural areas, Chapters 3 and 5;
- new presentation of General Practitioner data in tables on vocational trainees, Chapter 4; and
- a new data trend table with information about overseas trained doctors with exemptions from section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act 1973, Appendix D, 2002 to 2015.
Additional data, including information on medical college training processes and requirements from previous years, have been included in Appendix D of the report.
PDF version: Medical Training Review Panel: nineteenth report (PDF 4.2MB)
Word version: Medical Training Review Panel: nineteenth report (Word 2.7MB)
If you are having difficulty accessing the PDF, please contact: email@example.com for an alternate version to be sent to you.