- Trachoma program coverage
- Screening coverage
- Clean face prevalence
- Trachoma prevalence
- Treatment delivery and coverage
- Health promotion
New South Wales results – Figures
- Figure 5.1 Trachoma prevalence in children aged 5-9 years, number of communities that were screened treated or both for trachoma and number of potentially at-risk communities in NSW, 2013
New South Wales results –Tables
- Table 5.1 Trachoma screening coverage, trachoma prevalence and clean face prevalence in children (5-14 years old) in Western New South Wales in 2013
- Table 5.2 Trachoma treatment coverage in New South Wales in 2013
Trachoma program coverage
- NSW undertook a mapping exercise in the Western NSW region.
- Ten communities were identified by expert advice and local knowledge as being potentially at risk of trachoma and therefore screened (Table 5.1).
- Population screening coverage for trachoma in the 5-9 year-old age group was 72% (Table 5.1)
Clean face prevalence
- Clean face prevalence was assessed in all communities that were screened.
- The overall prevalence of clean faces among 5-9-year-old children in the screened communities was 96% (Table 5.1).
- The prevalence of trachoma in children aged 5-9 years screened was 0.5% (Table 5.1)
- Trachoma was found in only one community in the Western NSW region, at a prevalence of 6%.
Treatment delivery and coverage
- Trachoma treatment strategies were applied in one community (Table 5.2).
- The treatment strategy applied to this community was the treatment of active cases and all household contacts (Table 5.2).
- The overall treatment coverage in all regions was 100% with 25 doses of azithromycin delivered.
- Trichiasis screening was not required to be undertaken in 2013.
- Health promotion activities were not provided in 2013 as part of the NSW trachoma mapping exercise. Top of page
New South Wales results Figure
Figure 5.1 Trachoma prevalence in children aged 5-9 years, number of communities that were screened treated or both for trachoma and number of potentially at-risk communities in NSW, 2013
Top of page
New South Wales results Tables
* Jurisdictional estimate
|Number of communities screened||10|
|Age group (years)||0-4||5-9||10-14||5-14|
|Children examined for clean face||..||608||81||689|
|Children with clean face||..||581||80||661|
|Clean face prevalence (%)||..||96||99||96|
|Estimated number* of Aboriginal children in communities||..||795||130||925|
|Children examined for trachoma||..||575||77||652|
|Trachoma screening coverage (%)||..||72||59||70|
|Children with active trachoma||..||3||0||3|
|Active trachoma prevalence (%)||..||0.5||0||0.5|
|Number of communities screened||1|
|Treatment strategy||Active cases and all household contacts|
|Age group (years)||0-4||5-9||10-14||15+||All|
|Active cases requiring treatment||0||3||0||..||3|
|Active cases received treatment||..||3||..||..||3|
|Active case treatment coverage (%)||..||100||..||..||..|
|Contacts requiring treatment||2||3||1||16||22|
|Contacts received treatment||2||3||1||16||22|
|Contacts treatment coverage (%)||100||100||100||100||100|
|Doses of azithromycin delivered||2||6||1||16||25|
|Overall treatment coverage (%)||100||100||100||100||100|