Semi-structured discussion guides were developed for use with each target audience and all were approved by the Department prior to use. A number of exercises were included within the discussion to ensure all necessary information was obtained from relevant audiences. The flow of the discussion and the exercises used was tailored according to audience and the information requirements necessary from each. The discussion groups and interviews incorporated some plain packaging research activities and these are commented on in a separate report. The exercises included within the group discussion and interviews that are relevant to the graphic health warnings research are described below4.
Exercise 2: Understanding impact and provision mock ups of health warnings on small types of tobacco packaging including
- rectangular shaped small product with warning message and graphic on same face;
- rectangular shaped small product with warning message and graphic split on front and back;
- square shaped small product with warning message and graphic on one face, and warning message and explanatory message on back;
- square shaped small product with warning message and graphic on one face, and graphic and explanatory message on back;
- round shaped small product with warning message and graphic on same face (two versions), and one version with graphic only, all with warning message and explanatory message on the back (three versions);
- single sale cigar package (image of tube) with text-only warning message; and
- single sale cigar packaging (image of bag) with warning message and graphic.
Exercise 3: understanding credibility, relevance and understandability of graphic health warnings for cigars
using image boards and A4 booklets of full messages.
Exercise 4: to determine understandability of the graphic health warnings on a mock up of bidi packaging.
A summary of the exercises used with each target group is provided below.
|Research Activity||Qualitative Research ‘Exercises’ (see Section 4.4)|
|8 in-depth interviews with smokers of premium cigars||Exercises 2 and 3|
|5 group discussions with smokers of cigarillos / little cigars||Exercises 2, 3 and 4|
|2 group discussions with RYO tobacco smokers||Exercise 2 and 4|
Full discussion guides for each audience are provided in the appendices.
Top of page