Experience with the PAD Demonstration was quite recent, with just over half the organisations having the AED installed at their organisation for less than a year (Figure 1)
Managers were asked how many AEDs the organisation had installed, including devices received under the PAD Demonstration and any purchased privately by the organisation. Organisations interviewed had between one and six AEDs (Figure 2). Five organisations (or 10%) had bought their own AEDs in addition to those funded through the Project.
Multiple AEDs were more common in organisations defined as being an 'uncontrolled' environment (45%) compared to a 'controlled' environment (21%). The number of AEDs is likely to be a function of the size of the organisation, with larger chaotic environments having a greater volume of people and requiring more AEDs.
One in ten organisations had self funded an AED in addition to those received under the PAD Demonstration.
The way in which organisations and individuals became involved in the Pad Demonstration was explored, along with their length of involvement and funding arrangements for the AEDs.
Almost three in five (57%) organisations were approached by St John to become involved in the Pad Demonstration. Another 36% of organisations requested involvement and 8% were unsure (Figure 3).
Interestingly, 70% of those approached by St John to participate were organisations defined as being in an 'uncontrolled' environment (large chaotic organisations such as, airports, railway stations, casinos, shopping centres, sporting venues and tourist attractions). In contrast, 42% of organisations in a 'controlled' environment (lower risk sites for sudden cardiac arrests such as schools, registered clubs, retirement villages, office buildings) requested to be involved. (The qualitative research identified resistance by senior management e.g. in shopping centre chains as a major barrier.)
The majority of trained staff (64%) were chosen by management to become a trained first responder, the remaining 36% volunteered to become a responder (Figure 4).
Almost three in five host organisations were approached by St John to become involved in the Pad Demonstration. Staff were more commonly targeted by management to become first responders compared to volunteering.
Almost all managers and staff felt their organisation was an appropriate location for an AED and that having an AED was important for public safety. Slightly fewer agreed that the AED was important for employee safety:
- 'My organisation is a suitable location for AED placement' (98% of both managers and staff)
- 'Having an AED in the organisation is important for public safety' (96% of the managers and 98% of the staff) and
- 'Having an AED in the organisation is important for employee safety' (89% of the managers and 95% of the staff).
Figure 1: Length of time had AEDQ10. How long have Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) been placed in your organisation? I am referring to the AEDs installed by St John.
Top of page
Figure 2: Number of AEDs installed in organisationsQ11. How many AEDs do you have at your organisation that have been funded through the PAD Demonstration Project?
Q12. And how many AEDs. if any, has your organisation purchased?
Top of page
Figure 3: Selection of organisations in Pad DemonstrationQ9. Thinking about how your organisation came about being involved in the Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) Demonstration Project, did St John first approach your organisation or did your organisation hear about the project and request to be involved?
Top of page