- A user's guide to speed. National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), PDF available on the NDARC website (ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs: A Handbook for Health Professionals. Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, 2003.
- Australian Drug Foundation website (www.adf.org.au)
- Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) website (www.adin.com.au)
- Barry, K.L (1999). Brief interventions and brief therapies for substance abuse. Treatment Improvement Protocol (TIP) Series No. 34. US Department of Health and Human Services: Rockville, Maryland.
- Beck, A.T., Wright, F.D., Newman, C.F. and Liese, B.S. (1993). Cognitive therapy of substance abuse. New York: Guilford Press.
- Carroll, K.M. (1998). A cognitive-behavioural approach: treating cocaine addiction, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). Therapy Manuals for Drug Addiction. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institute of Health, Maryland.
- Centre for General Practice Integration Studies, on the University of NSW: Medicine (med.unsw.edu.au)
- Clinical skills training series: effective approaches to alcohol and other drug problems, modules 1-5. University of Newcastle: Training, Health and Educational Media, 1998. (National Teaching Grant held by Amanda Baker and National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction).
Module 1: Motivational interviewing: how to encourage motivation for change.
Module 2: Relapse prevention.
Top of pageModule 3: Raising the issue and assessment: triggers to learning.
Module 4: Brief intervention: triggers to learning.
Module 5: Brief intervention strategies among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Each module consists of 1-3 videotapes and a booklet including summation of the script, training questions and exercises, and student assessment and evaluation forms.
- Clinical Treatment Guidelines Series, on Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre website (www.turningpoint.org.au)
- Davies, J. (2000). A Manual of Mental Health Care in General Practice. Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care. Canberra.
- Hulse, G. et al. (2003). Alcohol and other drug clinical presentations and management – a case series exercise and record book. Oxford University Press.
- Motivational interviewing: a resource for clinicians, researchers and trainers. Motivational interviewing website (www.motivationalinterview.org)
- Orford, J. (2001). Excessive Appetites: A Psychological View of Addiction (Second Edition). John Wiley & Sons: New York.
- Models of intervention and care for psychostimulant users. National Drug Strategy Monograph Series No 51. Baker, A., Lee, N. K. & Jenner, L. eds. Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing.
- Treatment Approaches for Alcohol and Drug Dependence: An Introductory Guide. on the NDARC publications webpage (ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/publications) to order a copy.