9.1(A good point for student to contact facilitator.)
At this point you should speak with your facilitator and together assess whether you can:
- Identify your own personal values and attitudes regarding AOD issues and their implications for working with young people on AOD issues
- Describe current models used to understand drug-use behaviour
- Describe patterns and prevalence of drug use by young people
- Discuss a broad range of factors that can impact on AOD use by young people
- Outline harm minimisation and other current policies and frameworks that underpin AOD work with young people.
Before you contact your facilitator, complete the Reflection Activity in this topic.
Remember that if you want to know more about any of the topics covered in this module, a range of references are provided at the end of this module.
You could also contact your local health service or youth service for further information.
9.2 Summary of contentsAs you can see, the AOD sector is constantly being shaped by a variety of influences. Topic 8 gives you an idea of the breadth of issues important to the AOD sector.
This module has highlighted the important role of economic, political and social factors in determining AOD use as well as our responses to it. Models for understanding AOD use have been presented and explored as well as patterns of use and legislative and policy responses to AOD issues. Our own personal responses to AOD issues have also been examined.Top of page
9.3 Self-reflection activity
Task - writing exercise/group activityTake some time to reflect on what you have gained from your learning. You may wish to share your insights with other learners or colleagues, if possible.
Question - What aspect of this module do you feel is most relevant and useful in your work practice?
Question - What kinds of issues has this module raised for you in your work?
Question - Have you identified any further learning needs as a result of completing this module?
Question - If so, what are some ways you can achieve these learning needs?