Understanding youth drug use requires more than just knowledge about how drugs act on the body.
Brainstorm exerciseQuestion - What other knowledge and skills might assist you to understand and work with young AOD users?
- Knowledge of the developmental processes that occur during adolescence
- Skills in communicating with young people
- Alcohol and other drug (AOD) intervention skills and knowledge
- An understanding of the social context of drug use, such as the influence of peers etc.
- An understanding of street terms and slang language associated with young people and AOD use