Workplace learning activityReflect on any brief interventions that you currently use in your work with young people who are using alcohol and/or other drugs.
Question - Are there areas or skills you would like to improve? If so, what are they?
Question - If you are not currently using any brief interventions can you think of any opportunities or situations where you might be able to introduce them in your work?
In the next week or two identify a specific situation at work where you can practise implementing brief interventions. Read over your notes again before you apply this learning.
ReflectionReflect on the following after working with a young person on harm reduction.
Question - What worked well?
Question - What didn't work so well?
Question - What would you do differently next time?
- don't require ongoing formal counselling sessions
- make the most of small opportunities
- can occur at any time in your work with young people
- can provide information quickly when it's most needed
- can increase a young person's acceptance of information.