(see also 4.9 Polydrug use)
Continued high risk drug use is evidenced by:
- Frequent presentations when intoxicated;
- Chaotic drug using behaviour;
- Deteriorating medical or mental states due to drug use.
- Relationship, social and employment problems;
- Contracting infectious diseases;
- Involvement in crime.
- Review of:
- Psychosocial interventions and supports;
- Precipitants to continued drug use;
- The risks of combining methadone with other drug use against the benefits of continued treatment:
- If the patient's safety is not at risk from ongoing drug use it will generally be in the patient's interest to persist with treatment.
- If the risks of combining methadone with other drug use outweigh the benefits to the patient of MMT arrange the patient's gradual withdrawal from methadone.
- Medication regimes.
- Increases in methadone dose may be helpful if this is considered safe by the prescriber.