Children should learn to see food as important and useful for a healthy body. Some tips to help children see food this way include the following:
- Do not relate food to a child's weight or body shape.
- Avoid making comments about children's body weight and do not relate weight to a child's worth. This also applies to adults - do not talk about your own body shape or weight in a negative way.
- Ensure that discussions about food are positive and focus on the health benefits of nutritious foods.
- Avoid labelling particular foods as 'good' or 'bad'.
- Avoid talking about diets and dieting. It is not appropriate for children to diet or restrict their food intake, and it is not helpful for adults to discuss dieting or restricting food.
- Promote a positive body image by encouraging praising children for what they can do.