Healthy Eating GuidelinePlan mealtimes to be positive, relaxed and social.
Make mealtimes enjoyableMealtimes are a chance for kids to develop good eating habits.
- It’s also a time when kids and adults can spend time together, talk and relax.
- Kids can help to pack away games and set the table.
- Sit with kids and encourage them to talk with each other.
- Mess is normal and part of learning to eat.
- Encourage kids to try new foods.
- Don’t let kids throw or spit food.
- Help kids learn how to eat but never force kids to eat.
Kids can enjoy eating healthy food
- Make mealtimes fun.
- Let kids know the difference between ‘sometimes’ and ‘everyday’ foods.
- Don’t use food to reward or punish a child – this can start unhealthy food habits.
Be positive - talk about how food helps us to grow healthy and strong
- Let kids know when they do something good.
- Try not to make comments about a child’s weight.
- Try not to say bad things about your own body or weight.
- Avoid labelling foods ‘good’ or ‘bad’.