- Improved knowledge, confidence, skills and resources in primary health care professionals to routinely promote healthy weight with their patients and clients in a way that is consistent with community-wide strategies.
- Increased adoption of a seamless,multi-disciplinary and ‘team’ approach for routine assessment, referral and follow up overweight patients—especially young people and high risk parents.
- Improved access to appropriate and affordable support programs, counselling and clinical management services and advice—especially for parents of overweight young people and those worried about weight-related issues.
Health sector leadership:
- Promote NHMRC guidelines/prompt sheets on the prevention, treatment and management of overweight and obesity to all primary health care professional groups.
- Develop IT software for GP child and adult screening of body mass index and intervention and referral pathways.
- Develop and Implement Lifestyle Scripts for young people and parents.
- Increase the number of community-based support programs for management of overweight in young people and families, which are culturally appropriate.