• AHMAC - Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council
  • AIHW - Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
  • APHDPC - Australian Population Health Development Principal Committee
  • CBCL - Achenbach Child Behaviour Checklist
  • CHWS - Child Health and Wellbeing Subcommittee
  • COAG - Council of Australian Governments
  • FaHCSIA - Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs
  • OOHC - Out-of-Home Care*
  • ‘Framework’ - National Clinical Assessment Framework for Children and Young People in Out-of-Home Care
  • ‘National Framework’ - Protecting Children is Everyone’s Business: National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009-2020
  • RACP - Royal Australasian College of Physicians
  • RANZCP - Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
*There are a number of living arrangements whyich constitute OOHC:

1. Residential care—where placement is in a residential building whose purpose is to provide placements for children and where there are paid staff.

2. Family group homes—provide short-term care in departmentally-owned homes for children under care and protection orders and other children whose parents are unable to provide for their immediate welfare. Family group homes do not have salaried staff but are available rent free to approved carers, who receive board payments to reimburse them for the cost of looking after the children in their care.
3. Home-based care—where placement is in the home of a carer who is reimbursed (or who has been offered but declined reimbursement) for expenses for the care of the child. This is broken down into the three subcategories:

a. relative/kinship care—includes family members (other than parents) or a person well known to the child and/or family (based on a pre–existing relationship) who is reimbursed (or who has been offered but declined reimbursement) by the state/territory for the care of the child
b. foster care—where the care is authorised and carers are reimbursed (or were offered but declined reimbursement) by the state/territory and supported by an approved agency
c. other—home-based care which does not fall into either of the above two categories.
    4. Independent living—including private board and lead tenant households.