The Nutrition Panel Calculator (NPC) can be used to calculate the amount of energy, saturated fat and sodium provided by a serve of your recipe, in order to determine whether the recipe can be categorised as Green, Amber or Red.
The NPC only includes data for nutrients prescribed to appear on a core nutrition information panel. Therefore, a limitation of the NPC is that it does not consider fibre. However, it remains a useful tool to monitor the kilojoules, sodium and saturated fat content of a food product made in the canteen.
Before you start to use the NPC you need to know:
1. What your ingredients are.
2. How much of each ingredient you need to add to make your recipe (in grams). Table 1 on page 47 lists common foods and will allow you to convert measures of standard foods into their gram weight equivalent.
3. The serve size (can be calculated as the final recipe weight divided by the number of servings the recipe makes).
This tutorial is based on the following recipe:
Fruit loaf (makes 24 slices)
- 1 cup of dried mixed fruit
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 2 cups of skim milk
- 2 cups of processed bran cereal