Reporting is very important because it lets people know what the EHP is doing or has done, and tells them about the environmental health problems in the community.
This can be done by giving:

  • verbal (speaking) reports to the council, at community meetings, to the Environmental Health supervisor or to the local EHO, and EHP education staff
  • written reports to the council, to the Environmental Health coordinator of your region and to other agencies identified in an employment contract, such as the coordinator of state or territory Indigenous Environmental Health. Written reports are also important to keep as office records on community environmental health matters.
Written reports need only be short. They should describe:
  • the environmental health work being done
  • any difficulties being experienced and include suggestions for improvements and/or requests for assistance when needed
All reports and letters should be dated and signed by the EHP and a photocopy or carbon copy made and kept in the file.

This is a list of some of the important people/agencies to whom the EHP should report.

The community and its Council

This should be a regular task and be done at council or community meetings. By talking at these meetings, the EHP will keep people informed on what is happening so that the community can support the environmental health work. By doing this, the community will also get to know the EHP.
Fig.  7.3: Reporting to community Council.
Fig. 7.3: Reporting to community Council.

Top of Page

The Environmental Health supervisor and the Environmental Health Coordinator of your region

It should be a regular task to maintain contact with these people. It is important to tell them about current environmental health activities and to seek technical support, information and assistance when needed. This contact can be made by telephone or during routine visits.
Fig.  7.4: EHP working with EHO.
Fig. 7.4: EHP working with EHO.

Indigenous Environmental Health Practitioner teaching staff

Contact with teaching staff is usually made during their routine visits to the community or by telephone. These people can assist the EHP:
  • on matters relating to training and running community education sessions
  • by providing assistance with getting technical information from health officers and EHP supervisors
  • by keeping EHPs up-to-date with courses and in-service training
Fig.  7.5: Reporting by telephone.
Fig. 7.5: Reporting by telephone.

Other agencies

Other agencies which have a direct interest in environmental health matters in the community should be informed on issues which specifically concern them.

These agencies may include the Shire (local government) or the relevant Department of Health.