In the nutrition section we will :
- Briefly define what nutrition is
- Describe some of the factors that affect food intake
- Classify food according to the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating
- Define what the nutrients of interest are in regards to decreasing the risk of chronic disease, and
- Identify some of the nutrients we need to pay attention to, especially those of relevance to children.
Nutrition is a 3-part process
- Food or drink is consumed
- The body breaks down the food or drink into nutrients
- The nutrients travel through the bloodstream to different parts of the body where they are used as ‘fuel’ and for many other purposes
Nutrition is complex. It involves the journey of food, drink, nutrients, and waste products through the whole body from ingestion to excretion.
Nutrients travel through the bloodstream to different parts of the body where they are used as fuel and for many other purposes. To give the body proper nutrition, a person has to consume enough of the foods that contain key nutrients.