Healthy Eating GuidelineProvide water in addition to age appropriate milk drinks. Infants under the age of 6 months who are not exclusively breastfed can be offered cooled, boiled water in addition to infant formula.
Good drinks for babies
- Breastmilk is best for baby and is the only food or drink that baby needs until around 6 months.
- If baby is formula fed, baby can be offered cooled, boiled water as well as formula.
- From around 6 months all babies can have cooled, boiled waterin a bottle or cup.
Water is the best drink for our kids
- Water is important for good health – it helps digest food, absorb nutrients and get rid of waste from the body.
- Give kids water with all meals and snacks.
- Pack water bottles when going out.
- Keep a jug of clean tap water nearby.
- In hot weather – keep the jug of water cool.
- Let older kids pour their own water.
Kids need lots of water
- Kids can dehydrate very quickly and get very sick if they don’t drink regularly throughout the day. Make sure there is always plenty of clean drinking water around for kids.
- Plain unflavoured cow’s milk is good for kids over 12 months – limit to 2 cups a day.
- Babies under 12 months should not drink cow’s milk as the main drink, BUT you can use small amounts of cow’s milk in food preparation for babies.
- Give children their main meal first before giving milk.
- Kids under 2 should not have low fat or reduced fat milk.
- Kids over 2 should have mostly reduced fat milk.
- Don’t give flavoured milk to kids.
Top of page
Sweet drinks are unhealthy
- Sweet drinks are not needed for good health.
- can fill kids up so they don’t eat healthy meals
- can lead to tooth decay and weight gain.
- soft drinks
- flavoured waters
- flavoured milk
- sports drinks and energy drinks
- fruit drinks
- fruit juice.
You should not give sweet drinks to babies
- Don’t give baby sweet drinks such as tea, soft drinks, flavoured milk, juice or cordial.
- This can make baby sick and lead to tooth decay and weight gain.
- Tea is not good for baby and can weaken baby’s blood.