A print friendly PDF version is available from this Communicable Diseases Intelligence issue's table of contents.
The meeting of the Australian Influenza Vaccine Committee (AIVC) on Influenza Vaccines was convened on 7 October 1998, in order to select virus strains for the manufacture of Influenza Vaccine for 1999 Season.
Having considered the information on international surveillance by WHO and up-to-date epidemiology and strains characterisation presented at the meeting the Committee considered that the WHO recommendations on the composition of vaccines for 1999 Season should be followed:
- A (H3N2) an A/Sydney/5/97 (H3N2)-like strain, 15 µg HA per dose.
- A (H1N1) an A/Beijing/262/95 (H1N1)-like strain, 15 µg HA per dose.
- B a B/Beijing/184/93- like strain, 15 µg HA per dose.
- The high yield reassortant viruses IVR-108 and RESVIR-13 are A/Sydney/5/97 (H3N2)-like strains
- The high yield reassortant virus X-127 is accepted as an A/Beijing/262/95 (H1N1)-like strain
- B/Harbin/7/94 is accepted as a B/Beijing/184/93-like strain
This article was published in Communicable Diseases Intelligence Volume 22, No 12, 26 November 1998.
Communicable Diseases Surveillance
Communicable Diseases Intelligence