Medical Practitioners

How to apply to become a PBS supplier for Medical Practitioners

Page last updated: 09 October 2019

Approval to supply PBS medicines
Bank account details
Claiming for PBS medicines
Contact us
Form - Privacy Note

Approval to supply PBS medicines

Approval may be granted to a medical practitioner to supply Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines in a particular area, typically remote or isolated where the community does not have convenient and efficient access to PBS medicines supplied by an approved community pharmacy in that area or surrounding locality.
The medical practitioner must:
  • be practising medicine in the area for which approval is being sought
  • hold a current registration with the relevant state or territory medical board
  • be willing to supply PBS medicines to any person in that area who presents a valid PBS prescription

Permanent Services

To apply for approval as a PBS medical practitioner, submit an Application for a medical practitioner to supply pharmaceutical benefits (PDF 115 KB)
If a pharmacist becomes approved to supply PBS medicines to the community in that area, or surrounding locality, the approval granted to the PBS medical practitioner will be cancelled.

Temporary Services

Where there is no permanent approved PBS medical practitioner in a particular area and a medical practitioner is employed to practise in that area for a temporary period, they can apply using Application for a medical practitioner to supply pharmaceutical benefits (PDF 115 KB) for approval to supply pharmaceutical benefits for the period they are employed to practise in the area. The approval will be cancelled on the date stated on their application unless the practitioner requests an extension.

Locum Services

  • A locum for an existing approved PBS medical practitioner,can act on behalf of the medical practitioner, using the approved medical practitioner’s approval number.
  • The locum can use the approved medical practitioner's prescription forms, crossing out the existing prescriber's details and replacing them with their own, or use interim supply, unpersonalised prescription forms.
In either case, the locum medical practitioner must write their prescriber details on the prescription form.

The approved medical practitioner must sign the PBS claim form, which includes a declaration that items were supplied by them or on their behalf.

Bank account details

Please complete the Notification of bank account details for an approved medical practitioner form (PDF 104 KB)

Claiming for PBS medicines

The Commonwealth will reimburse PBS medicines supplied to Australian residents and eligible overseas visitors.

Once recommended or approved by Health, download the below forms, fill out all details along with the Pharmacy Approval Number issued to you, and email each form to the Department of Human Service (DHS) at the address on the form. DHS will then issue you with a digital certificate.

DHS cannot pay for PBS medicines supplied if you have not submitted these forms.

Read more about registering for online claiming for PBS on the Department of Human Services website.
  • Online Claiming - Online claiming for Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme - Application and terms and conditions form.
  • ABN - Notification of Australian Business Number and reference identification for tax treatment purposes and Recipient Created Tax Invoice agreement form.

Contact us

For any queries please email or phone the PBS Approved Suppliers hotline on (02) 6289 2419.

Form - Privacy Note

The Australian Government Department of Health (the Department) is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).

The Department is collecting personal information that you provide in the relevant Form for the purposes of assessing the application or processing the notification (as the case may be). The collection of the personal information is authorised under the National Health Act 1953 (Cth) and delegated legislation under that Act.

For more information on our Forms Privacy Information (Privacy Note) visit the Departments website.

In this section